Housemaid services should be considered when you have too many things to concentrate upon. It is quite evident that hiring a domestic worker is common in Dubai. However, you should be aware of a few things as a responsible citizen.
According to the latest announcement of the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE), residents can only hire housemaids or domestic workers from a licensed agency.
Recently, numerous fake maid agencies have been recruiting maids and ill-treating them. Additionally, they have violated their so-called terms and conditions while assigning maids to a specific service. However, MoHRE looked into the matter and issued the Ministerial Decision No. 92 of 2022 to keep things under control.
The latest rule regarding domestic workers came into effect on 1st March 2022. This particular resolution was about the new UAE labour law or the Federal Decree-Law No. 33 of 2021. Therefore, you must follow the rules before hiring domestic workers or part-time maids for your home.
What are the Responsibilities of Residents towards Housemaids?
It’s not only the recruiter’s responsibility but also the resident’s responsibility regarding the UAE Labour Law. MoHRE has clearly stated what a resident should take care of while hiring a domestic worker.
Here are the rules and regulations for residents:
- Residents can’t add extra work to the maid’s agreed duties or general framework.
- Additionally, the resident has to ensure that the maid’s environment is safe and healthy.
- The resident can’t force the maid to work for longer hours than discussed between the agency and the resident.
- The corresponding resident has to inform the recruitment agency and MoHRE if any accident takes place while the maid is working.
Regulations for Recruitment Agencies
Besides informing residents about their regulations, MoHRE has also stated all the responsibility for all the maid-recruiting agencies. Every maid agency should have a licence approved by the Minister of Human Resources.
Agencies can renew the licence only if they can meet the following criteria:
- The recruiter should offer a bank guarantee. Insurance might work in the absence of a bank guarantee.
- The individual owner or the group of recruiters must represent a credit report. It’s mandatory to present the financial status of the recruitment agency.
- Maid service providers or recruiters must offer sufficient housing and sustenance allowances for the domestic workers. In case it’s a temporary contract, then the recruiter should obey all the regulations mentioned in the law for domestic workers.
- Recruiters can open different branches in different Emirates UAE. However, they have to follow specific local Emirate’s licensing requirements. Moreover, they should provide a valid address for the branch.
What’s More in the Law for Domestic Workers?
Apart from stating responsibilities and requirements for recruiting agencies and residents, MoHRE introduced the WPS or Wages Protection System for domestic workers. The Wages Protection System is a database of wages that will ensure that every domestic worker gets paid as promised.
WPS recruiting agencies can make the payment through exchange offices, banks, and other financial institutions. However, all these financial institutions should be authorised by the UAE Central Bank.
Undoubtedly, this will benefit all the domestic workers across the UAE. It will verify whether domestic workers are getting paid on time or not.
Basic Regulations if You want to Hire a Maid in Dubai
Hiring a maid from an unauthorised or unlicensed agency is illegal in Dubai. Therefore, make sure that you hire a housemaid only from licensed or MoHRE-approved agencies. Only these companies take care of the working hours, wages, and other associated things for a domestic worker.
Additionally, these licensed companies will assign you a maid on an hour-based system. If you don’t hire maids from a licensed company, then there can be severe consequences. The UAE law indicates that residents will have to pay a fine of AED 50,000 if they are found to hire illegal housemaids.
As the law only stipulates that residents can only hire maids from a licensed maid recruiting company or agency. If the case goes critical, then the offenders might also have to suffer from deportation besides fines.
Things You Should Keep in Mind While Hiring Maids
Hopefully, the statement from MoHRE has clarified your responsibilities as a resident. Yet, we would like to remind you of a few things that you should watch out for while you are looking for domestic workers, here it goes:
- Ask for referrals from friends and family when you need a professional housemaid. On the other hand, you can look for reliable maid service providers and their websites online.
- However, we recommend you not to hire domestic workers from social media, they are not licensed. Additionally, it can be a scam behind an alluring price.
- On the other hand, always check the credentials of the agency from which you are going to hire your domestic helper. Verify if the recruitment agency has a valid address, contact, and a proper licence.
- Don’t forget to go through the ratings the customers have provided to the maid agency. However, don’t fall for too good to be true ratings and reviews, all-glittery reviews might be fake.
- Moreover, you can always check what services the maid agency provides. Communicate with the agency to understand the scope of the maid service. After all, you can’t force the maid to do extra work.
- You have to check the background of the maid you will hire. Usually, recruiting agencies conduct history checks and showcase them on their websites. Therefore, check the maid’s experience and conduct.
Hire Trusted and Professional Domestic Workers from Maids in Dubai
Selecting a particular maid agency can be troublesome in Dubai. Hire cleaning professionals from Maids in Dubai. The agency is duly registered and licensed. Therefore, it’s a trustworthy place to book professional service at the best price when you have a lot of cleaning chores to handle.